One of my favourite recipes is my Mom’s famous spicy potato dish. Any time someone asks for my Mom to make something, they always ask her to make this and her famously spicy achaar. Ah, my mouth is just watering thinking about it!
- 750g small potatoes
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup roasted sesame seed powder (or 1/2 peanut butter)
- 1 tsp ground Szechuan peppercorn (timur)
- 2 heaping tsps red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp roasted fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/3 cup hot oil (vegetable or mustard)
- Boil potatoes for 15-20 minutes until cooked but firm.
- Cut into bite sized pieces, so that each small potato is 4-6 pieces in size.
- Mix salt, lemon, Szechuan peppercorn, red chilli powder – be very generous with salt, lemon, and chillies! It’s important for the dish to have a strong bite.
- Place turmeric and roasted methi on top of the potatoes. Heat the oil in a small pan, and then pour on top of turmeric and methi, and potatoes. You will hear a nice sizzle! Make sure to mix with a wooden spoon, so you won’t burn your hands.
- Serve and enjoy as a side dish or starter. Bon appetit!