Okay, so pancake day almost ALWAYS creeps up on me, but I can still whip up a batch in no time thanks to a trusty homemade recipe I found years ago online. In the US, I used to always grab Bisquick and just make the batter, but I now prefer to whip it up at home. To be honest? It’s just as easy as throwing a mix together, and unlike boxed foods, you know EXACTLY what you’re eating. I like to use Organic all purpose flour, free-range eggs, organic butter and organic milk, but you can literally substitute whatever you prefer.
OLD-FASHIONED, AMERICAN STYLE PANCAKE RECIPE
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Serves: 3-4 people
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- Optional: extra butter or cooking spray (for the pan)
- Sift all dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, salt, sugar).
- Mix liquid ingredients together, but one at a time so the batter doesn’t become lumpy or inconsistent. First add milk, then add butter, then the egg.
- Let the batter rest for about 5 minutes.
- Heat up a flat pan on med-high and add some cooking spray or extra butter to grease it. Place batter on the griddle in the size you prefer. Wait about 2 minutes until bubbles arise, then flip. Wait another 2 minutes and your pancake will be golden brown and ready to eat.
- Serve with condiments like fruit, honey or maple syrup.
Tisha’s Tips: use an ice cream scoop for perfect sized pancakes or get creative by making fun pancake shapes with a spouted condiment holder.
Check out this cute video I made of Savya a eating banana and pancakes in the shape of his name. Bon Apetit!
Happy Pancake Day!