Hey folks! Today I’m posting a recipe for my Cauliflower Broccoli Cheese Casserole without a photo, because I totally forgot to photograph it before we ate it. Like an idiot. Whatever. We were hungry. I will make it again and update it. But for now, a Tasty Tuesday recipe!
This recipe is also TODDLER APPROVED!
This recipe requires you to make a bechamel sauce, starting with a roux. You do this by adding butter to a pan and melting it down. Then add equal parts flour and mix it in nicely, but don’t allow it to brown. Slowly add milk and keep adding until you reach a desired amount and consistency. For this recipe, I start with 4 tablespoons of butter and flour, and add milk straight from the jug as I go. I probably add over a cup of milk. Whole milk is best, but semi-skimmed (2%) is also acceptable. I also like to add sliced shallots and minced garlic to my butter for 30 seconds or less before adding my flour, but you can opt for onion and garlic powder instead if you find that easier.
You can customise this casserole any way you want. You can also add bacon to this. Because why the heck not?
Cauliflower Broccoli Cheese Casserole
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 20 minutes
- 1 bag of frozen broccoli and cauliflower mix (900g)
- 2 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Unsalted butter, 4 tablespoons
- All-Purpose flour, 4 tablespoons
- 1 shallot, sliced (or one teaspoon onion powder)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or one teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Whole milk (or semi-skimmed), 1 cup or more
- Salt to taste
- optional: add croutons
- Prepare freshly boiled water. Add to a pot and season with salt.
- Prepare bakeware and coat the bottom and sides with a very thin coat of vegetable oil.
- Separate broccoli and cauliflower.
- Add cauliflower to salted water and boil for 5 minutes until soft. Add broccoli for 3 more minutes. Remove from water and drain.
- Grab a chopping board and chop broccoli and cauliflower into smaller, bite sized pieces. Big pieces will not be comfortable to eat, nor will they bake nicely. Once chopping is complete, arrange them in the bakeware so that the green and white colours are nicely mixed together.
- Make the cheese sauce.
- Take 4 tablespoons of butter and melt completely in a small pot on medium heat. Add sliced shallots, minced garlic, nutmeg, and fry for 20-30 seconds. Add 4 tablespoons of flour and mix to create roux. Cook for another 10-20 seconds, but do not allow this to brown. Add milk gradually to create a nice sauce with enough thickness and flavour for your casserole. You don’t want a thick sauce, but you don’t want a sauce that is as thin as milk. Once you have achieved that consistency, add a cup of shredded cheese and mix well until it is completely incorporated. Salt to taste only after adding the cheese as cheddar cheese is already salty.
- Pour cheese sauce all over chopped broccoli and cauliflower. The veggies should not be swimming in the sauce, but should cover 3/4 of the veggies.
- Add more cheese on top and add breadcrumbs for a bit of added crunchiness. For even more crunch, add croutons.
- Bake at 220C for 20 minutes, covered, then uncover and bake for another 10 minutes. Let it rest for 10 minutes and serve!
Pro-tip: for large family gatherings, it’s best to section any casserole off with a knife so that serving portions are easy to scoop up!