It’s Election Day and everyone in the United States of America is buzzing. Okay lets be honest for a minute; with the craziness this campaigning season has brought forward, EVERY major country is buzzing in curiosity and anticipation as to whom the new leader of the free world is going to be. I’m pleased to see the responsible folk are making it a point to vote. Whether you are Red, Blue, or Green, I think we can all agree Democracy is a beautiful thing. I did my part and voted abroad by faxing my ballot in.
Suraj suggested I blog about how I make my “Freedom Fries,” which is what he calls fries. Every time I call them “French fries,” I get the mickey taken out of me. That’s what a Yankee gets for being married to a Limey! HA!
So I thought, why not post a recipe about fries? Everybody loves fries. I mean it’s potatoes. Carbs. Who doesn’t love carbs?! If you don’t, you’re either lying or inhuman. IJS.
So to specify, this is my favourite way to make FROZEN fries. There are some days when I just cannot be bothered to slice up my own potatoes. On those days, I simply spice up my fries with the following and whip up some easy-peasy garlic aioli.
TISHA’S ELECTION DAY FREEDOM FRIES
- 500-700g Tesco Finest chunky oven chips (or your preference)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence (or Italian mix)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder/granuals
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Olive oil spray
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Salt to taste (if needed)
- Take your chips in a bowl and mix all the dry spices together. The frozen chips will help the spice mixture stick really well.
- Line a baking tray with aluminium foil and lightly spray olive oil.
- Place fries (chips) on the lightly greased baking tray and lightly mist olive oil on top.
- Bake as per instructions for your chips (Tesco Finest’s is 20 minutes at 200*C)
- Mix up mayonnaise, garlic, and olive oil and whip up the aoli until it fluffs up nicely. Add cracked black pepper and salt as needed.
To eat, simply dip your spruced up yummy chips in your homemade aoli. Eat alongside a burger, a sandwich, or enjoy it simply by itself.